CAMPUS - Portland Junior College, which was established in 1933, held its classes in rented quarters until it purchased six acres of the old Deering estate in October, 1947. This was very historic land, having been obtained from Sir Ferdinando Gorges in 1637 and been involved in the Indian Wars. It was owned by the Brackett family for a very long time, sold to Noyes and later in 1802 to James Deering. The mansion which Deering built fell into such bad condition that it had to be torn down when the College purchased the land. Both the old carriage house (barn) and the farmhouse were on the land purchased. The College secured some Navy pre-fab buildings from the federal government which were ferried from Great Diamond Island in pieces and erected on the new campus. The “Barn” became the gym and the auditorium and provided a cafeteria, while the old farmhouse (built 1804) became the administration building. The prefab buildings provided classroom and library space. The last pre-fab building was taken down in September 1988. The “Barn” was also taken down.